Another piece for Obscure Fandom Week! This time I’m doing something for the American Girl Collection and god I spent waaaaay too much time working on this piece today.
I’ve posted stuff from this line before but for those who don’t know, the American Girl Collection is a doll franchise that base their dolls on various historical points in American history and come with their own books chronicling their lives during their time period. In recent years the franchise has been more focused on the more modern dolls that don’t come with their own stories, but the historical line will always continue to be my favorite. Most of the fandom I’ve found for this series is composed of doll collectors and while I do find the dolls lovely, I’m more interested in their stories and characters (and sadly very few people seem to want to talk about this :( ). None of the characters (except for the new girls Cecile and Marie-Grace) appear in any form in any of the other character’s stories, but there’s a common thread among all their stories that shows that some situations and problems people face never change.
Now it’s a kid series so the stories aren’t exactly masterpieces, but the girls are solid characters and when their overall stories are written well, the characters go through really compelling character development and you want to read more about their stories. I think the characters with the best books are Kaya, Addy, and Felicity, the one with the weakest books is Julie (I’ll refrain from going into a huge rant with what’s wrong with her character), and my favorite character regardless of her story quality is Kit, though honestly I can think of something I like about all the characters in this line.
In this piece I just drew all of the Historical characters in order of their time period. This post is already getting way too long, so just find their names here: http://americangirl.wikia.com/wiki/Historical_Characters
For some reason, this picture took me nearly all day to draw out, and I’m not sure why. I guess it’s the large number of characters and the time it took me to gather my references together that took up a lot of time.
- stardusted likes this
- thepinesaretwerkin likes this
- lieseeeee reblogged this from nowseizetheday
- nowseizetheday reblogged this from mareeohh
- mareeohh reblogged this from lifesabeach2110
- shesabeautybutafunnygirl reblogged this from princess--taryn
- princess--taryn reblogged this from laurenslifeinpink
- meganmarie86 likes this
- flightylittlethings reblogged this from lifesabeach2110
- laurenslifeinpink reblogged this from lookingfromtheinsideout
- lifesabeach2110 reblogged this from lookingfromtheinsideout
- lookingfromtheinsideout reblogged this from puffy333 and added:
- foreveralostelf reblogged this from lalondes
- officialmittromney likes this
- lalondes reblogged this from puffy333 and added:
- lalondes likes this
- cariettawhite likes this
- hellodeadkidspeaking-moved likes this
- nobody-special reblogged this from puffy333
- ressabee likes this
- nitrateglow reblogged this from puffy333 and added:
- time-experiencer reblogged this from aimmyarrowshigh
- memingers likes this
- quantumstarlight likes this
- viewparadise reblogged this from puffy333
- lilbookofkell likes this
- chasingbutterfliesatsunset reblogged this from aimmyarrowshigh
- aimmyarrowshigh reblogged this from puffy333 and added:
- clareironbrook likes this
- wouldyoucallmecordelia likes this
- puffy333 likes this
- souffleoflife reblogged this from puffy333 and added:
- souffleoflife likes this
- hitoshura0 said:You know, I remeber seeing these books, but I never read them. Huh. That was a cool read.
- puffy333 posted this